Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup Countdown

Today is June 11, 2010, and you know what that means...

The first game of the World Cup starts in 7 Hours 1 minute and 6 seconds. At the moment, the plan is to take in this first game (South Africa vs. Mexico) from the hotel lobby at Acholi Ber. I got my fantasy bracket entered online, I've chosen my favorites (Italy, Brazil, Ghana, and Slovenia) and I'm prepped for some screaming. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Nelson Mandela will make his scheduled appearance before the game, due to the fact that his great grand-daughter was killed in a car accident last night immediately following the opening ceremony concert. But then, it would be uncharacteristic of Mandela to miss the chance to address South Africa and the world...so who knows. Either way, it puts a damper on my spirits just a bit. 

Nelson Mandela

The real festivities start tomorrow at 2:30 PM when the USA team takes on England. Plans have been made between Blake and I (rooting for the USA) and Claire and Denise (rooting for England) to meet at the fabulously ex-pat bar at Boma where they have a giant screen television. The game is small potatoes, but we're turning it into quite the battle royale complete with trash talk. Blake would like everyone to know that if you're not with us...you're with the the terrorists. 

Sitting at Boma (the one time I have) reminded me of watching Casablanca. A wide assortment of people from all over in stiff wicker chairs enjoying coca-cola products and smoking cigarettes. The television is worthy of World Cup craziness, however, and for this I've got it on my agenda. 

Uganda isn't in the World Cup competition. Football is big around here, and everyone is excited, but apart from giving everyone something else to for the next few weeks, nothing is really changing. The street outside is still being graded, the sewer systems still being dug, the students still go to classes, the women still carry water jugs and other heavy buckets on their heads, and I am still on the hunt for the best food in Gulu. 

Speaking of best food, yesterday the five of us who are in town (myself, Denise, Blake, Ron, and Laura) had a final team meeting at Sancofa over pizza and juice. Ron (as I've previously mentioned) is headed to Kampala today. He'll be there finishing the final edits to the new edition of his book until Tuesday when he'll board a plane for the USA.

I'm going to miss him greatly, but he's got a lot of important work to do. Wishing him safe travels and successful speaking before the World Bank. 

       Laura, Denise, Ron, and Blake Outside of Sancofa Cafe

Mostly, I'm just easing into the weekend. Next week is already filling up fast and I imagine that the rest of my time here is going to fly. I think that we're going to stop into the Chinese/African restaurant for lunch (who would've thought the combination could be SO delicious?) with probably updates from there. Until then...


1 comment:

  1. As you know, we have our own little British/American thing here in Vegas, and I can't wait to remind the Brit that we stomped him :) GO SLOVENIA!

    ReplyDelete