Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Go to Come."

Hello from Kampala!

Apio and I are sitting in the NUFU (Norwegian Students) Guest House on the Mekerere University Campus. It is a pleasant place surrounded by green, and just a bit of peace in the hectic world that is Kampala. I have no love spared for this city. Too much traffic, too many people, and entirely too many ways to get a headache in one day.

I'm borrowing Apio's computer to write this, so I can't take long (my computer refuses to allow me to set up a land line internet connection) but I wanted to fill you all in on last night and this morning (Reader's Digest Version).

Yesterday we spent a long time at Lucy the Tailor's "Friendship Shop" getting my African sundress altered. It is very cute and I'll have to post pictures when my computer starts seeing internet again. Apio's dress is a stunning evening type dress (she lookes AMAZING) but mine was meant to be a kicky type sundress. It's cut off at the knee. I like it, but it took forever to get the measurements right. After that I went back to the hotel in hyperdrive to begin to pack.

I spent last night admiring the stars with the other remaining member of my Acholi Ber trio, Mike, and after we'd said our goodbyes and headed our separate ways I took a trip downstairs to say goodbye to Eunice. I wasn't ready for that.

"Oh Mickie! I'm going to miss you!" She cried as she gave me a huge hug. "Send my greetings to everyone! Your parents! And all your sisters! And Peter!"

It wasn't a goodbye I wanted to say, but it needed to be done. Eunice had planned to come in early this morning to see me off but I told her not to. She already works 14 hour days without me bringing her in an hour and a half early.

5:30 AM came too soon. I took in one last glimpse of the mist rising above the huts beneath the hotel and choked back the tears that wanted to flow. Mark (owner of Acholi Ber) helped me out with my bags and Father Joseph drove up with Apio to take us to the Post Office to catch the bus.

When we got to the bus stop, Father Joe gave me a big hug.

"Alright, Megan!" he told me, "Go to come." (as in, "Go so you can get back quickly.")

Then he took Apio into a big never-ending hug. It was a little painful to watch because I know how hard it was for both of them to say goodbye so soon after our arrival. Father Joseph drove away quickly after that.

The post bus ride down was fast (only five hours) and uneventful. We talked to fill the silence so we wouldn't have to think too much and then when there was nothing left to talk about, Apio slept and I thought. And tried not to cry.

We're spending the next few days in Kampala with Lowna, who happened to be down South processing visa paperwork and such. It should be a relatively busy and stressfree time.

But first I've taken some time to process. I needed it. Alone time, away from everyone, to just let myself cry a little. I feel like a bit of a baby...I mean, I was barely in Gulu six weeks. But I guess I should've seen this coming. After my mission-trip to Mexico I had a hard time saying goodbye to little Lorenzo (my five year old buddy) and we had only been together a short time. When I care, I care hard, and I care fast. I guess I wear my heart on my sleeve like that. And I did fall for Gulu. I fell for Lukodi. I fell hard for every little child that I got to spend time with (Maaaaliiiikaaa!) and for every woman who shared a moment of conversation with me. I fell for the staff of CVI, for the staff at Acholi Ber, and for the Fathers out at CTC. And I fell for the stars, and the rain, and the mud. And many other things I'll have to list in a totally other blog.

am sad to be going. This experience has changed me in a lot of ways and the people that I've become close to have gotten a special place in  my heart.  And while I'm happy to be headed home, I'm going to miss everyone in Gulu, everyone at Lukodi, and everyone in between.

What a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment