Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"I am somehow sick..."

Today I was supposed to be back at Lukodi talking to Pastor about the role of spirituality in healing. Of course, if I'm on the internet writing this you have probably guessed that I'm nowhere near Lukodi at the moment. I am, in fact, sitting at Cafe Larem where I am enjoying day number two of a very not-sweet illness. Or, as they say around here, "I am somehow sick."

I kind of like that phrase. When they say that they are "somehow sick" it is as if they were completely taken by surprise...almost bewildered. Like it was sudden and the symptoms were not gradual. As if one minute I was well and the next minute I was  "somehow sick." As if to say, "HOW did this happen?"

Symptoms are the usuals. Yesterday my throat was sore and my body was sore and my stomach was upset. Then, after spending the day in bed, the symptoms changed to not being able to hold down food and an achy body. Today I'm down to just the achy body. I think if I had a fever it broke during the night because I'm actually feeling much improved over yesterday, just not up to par yet. I didn't think it would be wise to take my germs to the compound, so I'll go back in a day or two when I'm feeling well again.

[side note: I have had an underlying homesickness this entire trip...but yesterday afternoon I would've sold my cats for a thirty minute soak in my bathtub at home. THAT is saying something.]

On the plus side -- if I wanted to spend the day in my hotel room sleeping, such a thing would not be completely out of my ability. On the down side -- I'm leaving Gulu in a week or so and I really have a lot of things I want to do before that happens.

Don't worry. It isn't anything serious. Just a cold. It's more aggravating than anything else.

C'est la vie.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Please tell your lovely friends that I have always thought the same thing of you--that you were beautiful, inside and out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I bet the travelin' song fits in so well in Uganda....

    ReplyDelete