Monday, May 17, 2010

Morning in Kampala

Good morning all --

I'm sitting on the veranda of the La Fontaine restaurant/lodging area and enjoying the view of Kampala in the morning. I don't have much battery left (almost none) and I need to buy a converter yet, so my days of long winded blog entries are yet to come. Still -- I wanted everyone who was following to know that we made it safe to Entebbe, survived the crazy traffic between Entebbe and Kampala, and have made it through our first day in the city alive and well.

I have to keep reminding myself that Kampala (in the south) does not look impacted by war because it has been nearly twenty years since the war was in the south. The only remnants of the conflict in this hustle and bustle is the occasional street beggar who, lacking legs, occupies the corner with a hand out for shillings. In fact, were it not for the guards at certain places (the mall, the Parliament building) with AK-47s on their hips, I'd say that this place could be any place in the world.

Anyway, battery is definitely dying and I want to get this posted before it goes. Talk to you all tonight, perhaps, after I've found a converter and plugged this poor thing in!

No comments:

Post a Comment