Sunday, July 18, 2010

Playing Tourist Part I: Firefly (yes) Stoneys (no)

The other night Trish and I were looking for something really tasty to eat that wouldn't be too expensive or have too much food (always an issue when we're eating out) and so she suggested that we go to FireFly. Those of you planning a trip to Vegas need to put this place on your list. There are two locations -- the one we went to was on Paradise over by the Convention Center. The food is billed as "Tapas" which Blake has informed me was "International For Delicious!" and in normal English terms means "Appetizer  Smorgasbord".

Pre-Tapas Bread/Olive Platter (ie, Nom nom nom!!)

This actually ended up being the best food option for a lot of reasons. 1)-- the menu is pretty expansive and includes vegetarian option as well as the best food for meat lovers (ribs, lamb, and chicken in the tapas area, as well as actual 'entree' options that are full meals). The best part was that the appetizers only ran $3-5 each, so your meal is only as expensive as you are hungry. I ordered the gazpacho (which was the most delicious cold soup ever) and a beat/walnut salad. Trish ordered goat cheese wrapped in eggplant and a plate of mushroom tarts. Between that and the bread (and the desert tarts that we ordered) we were not only stuffed but we each only paid about $12. It was delicious AND cost-effective. I'm putting the contact information for the place at the bottom of the blog, please head that direction the next time your in town (nom, nom, nom!!)


Trish at Firefly ("Are you gonna take pictures all night?")

Beyond that I've been spending a lot of time avoiding the 110 degree heat (hello hot gust of air...so we meet again...). Hydration has always been key when I'm back at home, but no matter how much I drink I am never hydrated. Ye-uch.

Trish and I also went to Stoney's Rockin' Country Bar last night. For the record, this is a place that we used to go to all the time when I lived in town. I love line-dancing and they do have one of the largest hardwood dance floors in the city. Unfortunately, the place has gone down-hill since I left. The arcade games we used to play in the back have all been removed and throughout the night, the DJ played 15-30 minute increments of house dancehall music (ie, grinding music as opposed to line dancing or two-stepping music). Now, I'm not opposed to dancehall music in dance clubs; however, when I go to a country dance bar I'm looking for country music, line dancing, and two stepping. The "Whatever" attitude of the ownership to the clientèle that traditionally frequents places like Stoneys (in an effort to win over the 20 something young, obnoxious, oversexed crowd) bothered not only myself but a number of the regulars that I ran into while I was there. I don't know that I'll go back to Stoney's again, but I hope that the folks who normally frequent the higher end ultra-lounges serve the place well. 

Besides that, I just heard that they re-opened Gilley's in the Treasure Island. Gilley's used to be in the New Frontier (before they demolished the place) and was definitely the best country dance club I've ever been in. Small, but always country. Maybe next time I'll try that out instead. 


Taxi. Thought it was hilarious. 


Other than that, just hanging and waiting....Parents should be home tonight. Then starts the family part of this visit. 








FIREFLY* on Paradise
3900 Paradise Road
Las Vegas, NV 89169
702.369.3971 

No comments:

Post a Comment